Sunday, May 6, 2007

What I learned about dyeing yarn...


So today I needed an instant gratification project. So, I decided to help de-stash and use some yarn (Lion Brand Wool) that I had dyed, then used RIT color remover, then dyed again. It's really quite nice, color-wise. But here's what I learned:

1. Color remover smells BAD on wool.
2. Post-color-removal, the yarn takes on a crunchy texture.
3. After re-dyeing for correct colors, the yarn retained said crunchy texture, even after washing multiple times with several detergents.

Ick.

So, I thought - I'll felt a bowl! Crocheted it all up, and even got a model (you go, Puffy-girl). Another valuable lesson learned today -

THE COLOR REMOVED PARTS OF THE YARN WILL NOT FELT! For the love of all humanity, don't use color remover! Someone will like the color. Just make something and pass on the love. Or go on Etsy and sell it. Do something with the ugly yarn! Just learn from my mistake, and don't use color remover, no matter how awful it might seem.

No comments: